Web Design Trends – The Ribbon

If you are a member of either Forrst or Dribbble you will be well aware of the sheer amount of ribbons featuring in people’s design work in recent months. It’s a trend that has been growing so I thought I would try and make a note of some sites using them by creating a showcase. What do you think of ribbons? Is it a trend that is being overused now? Or is it a great way to add that human touch to your site? I’d love to hear your thoughts

Email Craft

Deploy CMS

Deploy CMS

Familie Melloh

Familie Melloh

Rapping Paper

Rapping Paper

If you like this post you may also want to look at:

The Best Worst Web Designs!

A Showcase Of ‘Handmade’ Websites #3

Why not follow me on twitter: @atikusdesign
or to ensure you are updated with every D-Lists posts follow: @d_lists

11 Responses to this post

1. Gabe Casalett said on August 24, 2010

I was pondering your questions about ribbons being overused, and then it hit me: What are the chances that a regular internet user (not a web designer) will see more than one or two of these websites in one sitting? I think that the use of ribbons in these examples is subtle enough that even if you see more than one of these websites in a row, you won’t think “OMG, another f%#@ing ribbon!”

Love your blog!

2. atikusdesign said on August 25, 2010

It’s an interesting discussion.

I’ve heard your argument made by a lot of people and I do agree with you that our clients probably won’t be sick of it and will actually appreciate the look. However, the main problem I have with trends being overused is that designer’s use them because they ‘look’ nice and not because they are best suited to the project in question. They decide early on that they want to use a ribbon and shoehorn the design to accomodate them, when in fact they should first be asking themselves what the project is asking for and design the site to fulfill the brief.

“With the recent popularity of Dribbble, the copycat syndrome might be gaining momentum. On Dribbble, a designer reveals a sample of something they’re working on, and then the style of that small snippet starts spreading. The context and strategy underlying it are unknown, yet the style is still viewed as beautiful in and of itself. The designer may have taken hours, days or weeks to arrive at the decisions that informed the design, but now that it’s out in the wild, the snippet becomes nothing more than eye candy.”

The Dribbble Syndrome by Louis Lazaris

3. Alan said on August 25, 2010

Got to agree with Gabe, I think at the moment the use is alot in the design community, but for general people just browsing they won’t see it or notice it as much.

I suppose its just that as designers we see the trends more often.

4. Illiya Vjestica said on August 26, 2010

I really liked this post, some lovely sites here. Email Craft is my favourite, the ribbon works really well in the design.

5. Napilink augusztus 30. | hdesign said on August 30, 2010

[...] Design Trends – The Ribbon | D-Lists – [...]

6. Andrew-David said on August 31, 2010

Sweet! I didn’t even know my website was featured on this list! =D
    Thanks a lot guys!

7. chrissyna said on September 1, 2010

I particular like the “CJs Favorites” website. Everything works so well together. Good design (:

8. Birdy said on September 4, 2010

I think it’s overused. One of the things I’ve noticed with Dribbble is how much these design trends spread. I can see why a designer might chuck it in to keep a client happy, but when they look back at their work, are they really going to be proud of taking shortcuts and just following the herd?

9. A Showcase Of Event Websites | D-Lists said on October 12, 2010

[...] StoriesIf you like this post you may also want to look at:Websites With Full Screen PhotosWeb Design Trends – The RibbonWhy not follow me on twitter: @atikusdesignor to ensure you are updated with every D-Lists posts [...]

10. simon said on June 4, 2011

I also think its done far too much. I’ve blogged about it, it seems to me that its a phase most web designers seem to go through. Still, some of them are dam fine websites. Great post.

11. Elvis In Hawaii « yasminesoa said on June 27, 2011

[...] Hawaii Follow That Dream Kid Galahad Girls Girls Girls It Happened At The World s [...]